In this special episode, we discuss the films of Noir City Austin 2017 and its theme of The Big Knockover: Heists, Holdups, and Schemes Gone Awry. This is the second of two episodes devoted to covering the Noir City festival, and we hope you’ll check out the previous episode and our interview with The Czar of Noir, Eddie Muller.
The festival showcased ten caper films in the noir canon, including some big milestones and some lesser known titles, all brought to us by the Film Noir Foundation. We had great fun exploring the chronology of the heist film, and we hope to see you at next year’s festival!
The Noir City Austin 2017 Festival Line Up:
• High Sierra (Walsh, 1941)
• The Killers (Siodmak, 1946)
• The Asphalt Jungle (Huston, 1950)
• Criss Cross (Siodmak, 1949)
• Armored Car Robbery (Fleischer, 1950)
• Kansas City Confidential (Karlson, 1952)
• Violent Saturday (Fleischer, 1955)
• The Killing (Kubrick, 1956)
• Rififi (Dassin, 1955)
• Cash on Demand (Lawrence, 1961)
What you’ll find in this episode: perfect films versus favorite films, tough guys, dark dames, genre cross pollination, and why you must go to any Noir City festival you can.
– Cole and Ericca